Thursday, March 27, 2014

My Very First Post

Today I decide to start a blog about my journey through nursing school and beyond… Lets just say I have been through so many ups and down to get to nursing school it's not even funny… from pre-req's at several community colleges to pre-req's at my new school. Counting on to my second degree...I started this journey in Texas and now I'm in Florida about to start the nursing program at South University in Tampa in less than 2 weeks.

 I had so many questions about nursing and this program that I felt like maybe by starting a blog this would help future student interesting in this program as well as just nursing/nursing school in general…

The Teas V test I studied pretty hard for, probably about 3-4 weeks worth….def wanna get the ATI book because thats pretty much a perfect temple as to how the test will be. The Reading, Math and the English part are pretty much just like the book. The questions weren't the same but how they are asked are, and many of the questions are the exact same EXCEPT they are just not the same (numbers/ or for example paragraphs as the ATI practice book). The science section was a little more broad and you will have to study more than just the ATI book to do well on the science section IMO…..
 I got a 74% on my first try. The MAIN REASON I didn't do better I know for a fact was the TIMING!!! I ran out of time on 2 out of 4 sections. My advise to you is take the Practice Tests they have on the ATI site….This will realllllly help you get an idea of how to keep up with the time as being rushed makes a big difference on your thought process…. If you need any help on the TEAS V test feel free to email me. I have lots of tips on what to study. Also allnurses.com has a bunch of good info on teas test info and how to prepare.

I got accepted into the program for APRIL 2014 so I start in less than 2 weeks. I just got my books in the mail, ordered them from rental and used book sites and saved a lot of money. I would not recommend buying from the school unless absolutely necessary.

They ask that you get a health physical done (cost about $150-200) depending on vaccines/tests needed. The require the PPD test/ MMR series(rubella titer/rubeola titer/varicella titer)/ Tdap-Tetanus/ and the Hepatitis Series (this is however OPTIONAL) and last but not least regarding heath assessments is the INFLUENZA (FLU) VACCINE…which however is MANDATORY!!!

I have a WHOLE other topic to cover regarding MANDATORY VACCINES… so for now I will skip that topic and go into that on another post……..

Other things we need for he program are a valid CPR ($50)/ Certified Background check/fingerprints and drug testing ($160). Uniforms are about $25 each. (I bought 3 for now). Copy of Health Insurance and then they give you quite a few forms to sign..

I'm sure I have more but for now this is all I have, I'll make another post soon.

Thanks!









2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm planning to attend South's Nursing program beginning in October (assuming I even get in!). Do you know what your next quarter will look like schedule-wise or any quarters after that? I'm trying to get a feel for the hours I'll be at school or clinicals for work purposes, though I know most of my off hours will consist of studying.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, just now getting around to responding. We are in finals week right now! The second quarter is Monday through Friday. We have 1 class each day and Friday is clinical day.
    Monday: Pharm2 9am-12pm
    Tuesday: Fundamentals 2 Lab (times vary depending on the lab time you choose) There are 3. Mine is the 12pm-4pm Lab
    Wednesday: Fundamentals 2 Lecture 9am-12pm
    Thursday: Lab again
    Friday: Clinical Day (elderly care) 6:30am-12:30pm
    Off Saturday and Sunday……To Study! ha!
    Hope this helps you out!

    ReplyDelete